Wednesday, August 26, 2009

August 26, 2009 ~ The Spiral Stopper...

Can you be the one to respond with a gentle touch?
God can give you the power to overcome anger with peace.

Today's Scripture:

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Proverbs 15:1

Disagreements often go like this: "Why didn't you take the trash out like I asked?" "Oh I forgot." "You forget everything." "No, I don't/ I remembered ~" "No, you're the most forgetful person I ever met." "You're just mean." "Oh, you want to see mean, I'll show you mean." And on it goes.

Arguments often start over minor issues - someone forgot to do what he promised, or someone forgot to say he or she'd be a little late, or someone did or didn't do something else - but these little issues can escalate from the inconsequential into accusations, put-downs, and painful words that both parties remember long and regret at their leisure. There is a way to break that spiral and to keep an argument from becoming nasty.
Proverbs 15:1 ranks high among the all-time great solutions for women who can't seem to end the quarrel spiral. The solution is to answer gently, even if it is easier or our nature to speak defensively. I know for me this is something I have had to reprogram from the way I grew up.

A gentle answer can bring an argument to an abrupt halt.

Instead of shooting a comeback that stings, say something gentle; perhaps even agree wit the other person. "I'm sorry." "I'll try to do better." "Please forgive me." Such mild answers of taking ownership of your part defuse an argument and bring it to a halt. Even if your antagonist responds with something like "You always say that," keep speaking those easygoing sentences. Stifle a mean comeback. Eventually this tactic will work.
Selah people' and friends the gentle response can cool off a hot situation and turn it into a time to learn, to grow, and to better understand others. Remember not everyone has grown up or had the same experiences as you have. Often others are hurting about something completely different than the situation at hand. A peacemaker always wins God's blessing.

"Join me as we strive to be the "Peacemakers" of our world, relationships and community. It is amazing what God can do when we allow Him to give us that gentle spirit."

Your pastor,

Rev Patrick Muston ~ Via Mobile ~ Mount Olive, NC

Audio Sermon link for August 23, 2009 can be found on our media site below...


Sermon: "THE REALITY OF SPIRITUAL WARFARE"


Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-12


Note: this week's special music is our hymn of invitation: Draw Me NearerClick link below.

http://selahmedia.tripod.com/