Sunday, November 30, 2008

No substitute...


Today's Scripture:
Serve only the Lord your God. Respect him, keep his commands, and obey him. Serve him and be loyal to him.
Deuteronomy 13:4


The Israelites faced a bit of a challenge. All their neighbors were worshiping things they could see-the sun, the moon, statues, their rulers. You get the picture. The Israelites were supposed to worship a God they couldn't see. So every time they started feeling insecure about their relationship with God - which seemed to be all the time - they made idols for themselves or started worshiping the gods of their neighbors. They thought they needed something they could see.

Does that sound ridiculous? Primitive? Not so fast.

You and I live in a culture that's full of false gods and idols.

Movie stars. Brand names. Sports heroes. Success. Popularity. Think how many things in your life promise to give you what only God can give: acceptance, love, self-respect, security. Every time you put your trust in Any of those things (even the good things) in place of God, you're doing what the Israelites did when they took up with their neighbors' gods. Idolatry isn't about carving idols out of stone or wood. It's about placing anything or anyone in the place where God belongs.

There's a God-shaped hole in your heart. God is perfectly willing to fill it. And only he can. Sure, there are lots of other things clamoring to be put in God's place. But all of them will leave you empty. It takes faith to believe in someone you cannot see. But nothing else can take his place.
Selah people' and friends think about how you spend your time, your money, and your effort.


Today I had a great visit with my brother and his family, my family and my parents...we worshiped together, we broke bread, we laughed, we fellowshipped with each other and we hugged. When they left I felt that God voice calling and as my wife and I discussed the week's schedule I knew where I needed to be. I dropped my daughter at church for practice, visited briefly and then headed to see two of my friends Pete and Chris who had a tough couple days at UNC hospital.

My brothers in Christ and I worship God and enjoy the moment we share and as I prepare to leave them I reflect on our God whom blesses so much each and every day...the God whom we worship. Does what you do and what your doing today acknowledge that you worship God above everything else? If not choose today to make a change and not accept any substitute for the one true God.

Stop by and visit our church website at http://selahchurch.com/ ... There you will find upcoming events and links to our sermons online and photos of events.
"Peace be with you as you join me in seeking to serve the one true God and doing away with all the substitutes that are holding you back."

Your pastor,
Rev Muston (PreacherPatrick) Via Mobile at UNC hospital Chapel Hill, NC