Friday, November 14, 2008

Honor Your Father and Mother

Today's Scripture:

The commandment says, "Honor your father and mother." This is the first commandment that has a promise with it - "Then everything will be well with you, and you will have a long life on earth.

Ephesians 6: 2-3

Sometimes it seems as if your parents can't possibly remember what it's like to be a teenager. The restrictions they put on you, the expectations they have - do they have any idea what it's like to have somebody telling you what to do all the time? A lot of things have changed since your parents were your age? And, yes it's possible that they have forgotten a few thing about what it's like to be a teenager. As a young dad myself with a daughter approaching this time my memory is being refreshed. So maybe our parents may not be as out of touch as we think.


Your parents have lived through many of the experiences you're struggling through now. They have even been through things and to places you and I have not yet seen. They may not have had mobile phones, PDAs or Ipods and instant messaging when they were growing up, but they did have final exams, homework and heartaches and all the exhilaration and insecurity of becoming an adult. What looks to you like an effort to control every aspect of your life may actually be your parents' desire to save you from to learn things the hard way - maybe the way they had to learn themselves.

Your parents make mistakes. Everybody does yes even the preacher...often. But you relationship with them will go a lot more smoothly if you remember that they want what's best for you, even if you're not sure they're going about it the right way. Honoring your parents doesn't mean agreeing with them all the time, but it does mean respecting their authority and trusting that their motives are good.
Selah people' and friends what is a trouble spot between you and your parents? Initiate a calm, loving conversation on this subject; tell your parents that you trust them, and ask them to help you understand their side of the issue. Who knows? Maybe your respectful approach will lead to a compromise.
Ann and Irv ...I mean Mom and Dad I am thankful that God gave me two special people like you to parent me. I know that when I was growing and learning I didn't always see what you were trying to teach me, but I'm glad you never gave up on me. I see that you too were growing with me and had seen and done much of what I had to go through and have yet to experience now as a parent myself. I love you both and this blog I share as a small token to honor you.
"Peace and honor be directed to all fathers and mothers. Remember it is God's first commandment for a reason."


Your pastor,

Rev Muston(PreacherPatrick)