Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Spend Time With God



Today's Scripture:
Lord, every morning you hear my voice. Every morning, I tell you what I need, and I wait for your answer.
Psalm 5:3
No doubt you have a busy life. School, friends, extracurricular activities, youth group, perhaps an after -school job or like me a couple of full time jobs and spouse and kids to keep us hopping from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed. Are you carving out any time for God each day? All that activity places a burden on you-a burden that grows a little heavier each day if you aren't careful. God wants to bear that burden for you, to release you to a life of freedom. That means giving your cares and burdens to God every day.
Starting your day by spending time with God sets a standard for your day. God becomes your first priority. Choose a quiet place and spend time with God. Some things you can choose to do during your time with God might include writing in a journal, reading your Bible, and praying. Ask God to lead you in how or what you should do during your time with him. For me it inspired me using my time to record a scripture and share some stories and thoughts via this blog. You may find as I have that having a routine is comforting, or you may enjoy doing something different each time you meet with God. I have settled in over the last two months to my time being similar and my subjects, scripture and photos being new...sometimes my location varies, such as sharing via phone or laptop at the park, college, hospital or in my car. Perhaps for you it would work better to alternate days where one day you simply sit quietly and ask God to fill your mind and the next day you actively pursue the truth God has for you.
Meeting with God at the beginning of your day will give you the chance to tell him about your hopes. It will give you some time to consider how you will serve others and God that day. You can share your needs and cares with him instead of carrying them like a heavy load all day.
Selah people' and friends set your alarm clock for fifteen minutes earlier in the morning so you make God first in your life. If morning is just manic and you are not able then, consider making preparation for the last thing you do to share with him. Make your mindset that as you lay your head down that you are sharing with him so that you will awake already with him in control. He does such great work as we sleep when we have just prayed it to him and allow him to give us the answer we seek. Talk to God about your day before it begins.
"Peace and Joy be with you as you take time out to spend with God each day."
Your pastor,
Rev Muston (PreacherPatrick)