Tuesday, November 27, 2012

June 27, 2012 ~ Correcting Our Faults!

Today's Scripture:
"To every man...not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think."
Romans 12:3

Today's Word:
As I sit here watching my daughter cheer it made me think about us seeing ourselves as others see us. One of my first early services as pastor where we had breakfast at Selah I had dressed and polished up my shoes. My trousers being light tan and the first time I had worn that suit, I had rolled up the legs to protect them from the shoe polish.  Happily,  I arrived at the church and greeted some of the men who were hard at preparing that breakfast. Finally one gentle-hearted brother (can't remember if it were Ed or Billy Carter) said to me, "You can roll them down now preacher."
Friends, I looked down and sure enough my pant legs were rolled up high enough I could have waded through a six-inch-deep puddle. And let me tell you there wasn't a raindrop falling. There I was decked out in my finest new Easter suit, shirt starched, tie tacked, pocket silk just right, shoes shined, but totally unaware of what I really looked like. I guess that explained all the men's large grins on there faces. Sheepishly,  I had no choice but to grin too.
A drop of truth can be distilled from that experience.  So often we suppose we are presenting a finer picture of ourselves to others than we actually are. And yes they see things about us that we haven't seen. Sometimes they are just too polite to tell us the truth. But there we stand, proud as peacocks, not knowing that some character defect glaringly spoils the picture.
The Bible will mirror us if we let it. For example our Scripture Romans 12:3 reminds us not to think more highly of himself than he ought. Again,  the Word reminds "Let a man examine himself" (1 Corinthians 11:28). But ol' self stands tall and flinches when he is probed. We would rather put the evil eye on the other fella or madam. We think it makes us look better.
Selah people and friends I remind us to give thanks to those loving souls who care enough about us to keep us from looking like idiots to others. They must have read these good words: "If a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou be tempted." (Galatians 6:1) Remember that a bent back is required to unroll pant legs. And bowed heart is required to set life in order.

Our Prayer For Today:
We come to you Lord just as we are each day. You are the only one who can truly forgive our sins. We thank you for sending brothers and sisters as well as your son Jesus. Allow us to correct our faults and model ourselves in His image. In Jesus name we pray! Amen.
Your brother and friend in Christ,
Patrick

Rev Patrick Muston
Selah Christian Church